It’s the time of year when many newspapers; magazines and book shops produce their ‘Summer Reading List’.
So how about adding some philanthropy books and pod casts to the collection? Many of the books can be downloaded as well as bought in hard copy to save any excess baggage charges!
We have also included three Ted Talks in case watching is more your style than reading.
This is the second list we have published originally on our Little Book of Wonders and once again I thought it would be good to share it with as many people as possible. Cheryl Chapman who runs City Philanthropy undertook the task of reviewing these illuminating tomes and talks for us.
So I hope you enjoy some, or all, of them:
- The Shed That Fed A Million Children, Magnus MacFarlane-Barrow, William Collins, £12.99 Hardcover, May 2015 (Proceeds to Mary’s Meals)
- The Essence of Strategic Giving: A Practical Guide for Donors and Fundraisers, Peter Frumkin, University of Chicago Press, £17.93 Paperback, Sept 2010
- Doing Good Better: Effective Altruism and a Radical New Way to Make a Difference, William MacAskill, Avery Publishing Group, £8.99 Paperback, July 2015
- Finance and the Good Society, Robert J Shiller, Princeton University Press, £13.46 Paperback, June 2013
- Rambam’s Ladder: A Meditation on Generosity and Why It Is Necessary to Give, Julie Salamon, Workman Publishing Company, £14.60 Hardcover, September 2003
- Charity and Philanthropy for Dummies, Karl T Muth, Michael T.S. Lindenmayer and John Kluge, John Wiley and Sons, £16.99 Paperback, March 2014
- Public Good By Private Means: How Philanthropy Shapes Britain, Rhodri Davies, Alliance Publishing Trust, £18 Paperback, February 2016
- Ted Talk: Bill And Melinda Gates, Why Giving Away Our Wealth Has Been The Most Inspiring Thing We Have Ever Done, Filmed March 2014
- Ted Talk: Dame Stephanie Shirley, Why Ambitious Women Have Flat Heads, Filmed March 2015
- Ted Talk: Dan Pallotta, The Way We Think About Charity is Dead Wrong, Filmed March 2013